Find answers, ask questions, and connect with other fishing enthusiasts.

Forums Forums Percy Priest Lake 1/12/2014 :: Fishing Report

• 1/12/2014 :: Fishing Report

Posted by simplecircuit on January 13, 2014 at 2:08 am

I fished out of elm hill from around 11:30-dark. Thanks to the fellow BassCat owner who backed me in at the ramp – I hate launching alone. Ran straight to the bluffs between elm hill and Hamilton creek. There was a boat right where I wanted to start. So I fished in the transition pocket for a few mins. I had one bite on a silver buddy in 35ft of water, but it shook loose. Water temp was 42.2 with stained water with maybe 1-2ft visibility. After the other boat left, I trolled over and started to throw a dropshot – 4″ finesse worm with 16″ leader. I immediately caught a 2.5-3lb keeper largemouth out of 35ft. The fish felt like a rock on my hook, it never tried to swim away until I got it to the side of te boat. Then I caught 2 short fish. After drifting the rest of the wall, I idled back and started again. I caught another keeper out of 30ft of water on the drop shot. All day, there were fish on the graph stacked at 35ft and 50ft related to the bottom. I did find some suspending at 35ft over 80ft, but that just isn’t my forte. After picking up my partner at elm hill, we fished shad raps and a variety of other things in shallow water with no success – Cooks, Goose Island, Oriental Point, Elm Hill. The water just never seemed to warm up on the lower end of the lake.

Summary –
    Conditions :: lower lake – 40-43degree water temp – breeze – 1-2ft water clarity
    Catch :: 4 largemouth (2 keepers)
    Technique :: dropshot in 35ft of water with scattered rock
    Misc Details :: lots of larger fish graphed at 35ft and 50ft related to the bottom

hooperj14 replied 10 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • degaman

January 13, 2014 at 3:50 am

Better luck than I had. Might try some of my honey holes on the lower lake tomorrow. Gotta let the upper lake clear up some.

• simplecircuit

January 13, 2014 at 8:42 am

I talked to a guy at the end of the bluff who had some success with 3/8oz blade baits in that same 30-35ft zone.
    You might give those silver buddies a try down there. Let me know how you do. I need to figure out some things about fishing the blades down deep. J

• hooperj14

January 13, 2014 at 2:26 pm

I went out and fished for about 3 hours up lake with shad raps, Red Eye Shad, and jigs with no luck. I hit Fate Sanders Cove, Sister Cove, Long Hunter Cove, and Spring Creek. Water was pretty muddy. Looks like I need to fish deep. Are your graphing these fish on channel drops or out in the middle of the channel? Also, I have never fished blade baits before but want to start. What do I need to know to get started?

• blockel

January 13, 2014 at 4:11 pm
    quote hooperj14:

I went out and fished for about 3 hours up lake with shad raps, Red Eye Shad, and jigs with no luck. I hit Fate Sanders Cove, Sister Cove, Long Hunter Cove, and Spring Creek. Water was pretty muddy. Looks like I need to fish deep. Are your graphing these fish on channel drops or out in the middle of the channel? Also, I have never fished blade baits before but want to start. What do I need to know to get started?

Hooperj14 – Here’s a link to a previous thread where we talked about bladebait’n quite a bit.

http://www.briancarper.com/premium/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=171&p=684&hilit=bladebait#p684

• simplecircuit

January 13, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Hooper,
    To answer the location question, I was seeing the fish in both places. I focused my graphing effort on a pocket just off the channel that I know has a long 45 degree drop to it. Also, I know it’s more practical/efficient to graph from the console while idling, but I like to put the trolling motor on medium to high [I have a MG109] and blindly cast my drop-shot or something else while watching the front graph. By just keeping an eye on the graph, you can pick up on a few clues as to what depth the fish are holding in where you are fishing. Then once I moved to the bluff to fish, I could see the fish at the same depth that I had found them earlier in the pocket [same general area, same general water conditions – temp, color, etc].

A few other tips that I had written at first, then realized I hadn’t actually answered your question…
    Finding the deeper fish is kind of hit or miss at this time of year. Roughly, what I’ll do is watch my graph while idling out onto the main lake from wherever I’m putting in [typically Elm Hill]. You’ll start to see scattered bait suspending at a certain depth. Then, when I get to the bluffs regardless of whether I see fish on the graph, I try to set my boat out a little deeper than I was graphing the bait earlier. I’ll cast to the bluff and slowly work the dropshot back out deeper. The fish typically will bite at whatever depth the bait was showing up earlier.

During the winter, a lot of the fish will be tight to the bottom and hard to see on the graph. There are ways to pick them out from the bottom by using zoom levels and depth ranges on your graph, but I don’t have the patience for it. One thing that I’ve found this season is that if I run my Hydrowave on 30sec intervals, the fish will “show themselves”. I know a lot of people think the Hydrowave is bogus [the marketing definitely over-promises], and I wasn’t a huge fan earlier in the year, but I’m finding that during the winter it’s helping me to find fish that weren’t obvious on the graph by just idling/trolling around and looking.

Sorry for the overly long response to a quick question. Hopefully it’s helpful and not too circular. I’m at work and keep getting pulled away mid-thought. Then come back and start with a new thought process.

j.

• hooperj14

January 14, 2014 at 3:25 am

simplecircuit and blockel, thanks a lot for the help.

s2Member®