Find answers, ask questions, and connect with other fishing enthusiasts.

Forums Forums Percy Priest Lake 1/19/2014 :: Fishing Report.

• 1/19/2014 :: Fishing Report.

Posted by simplecircuit on January 21, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Fished out of Elm Hill on the lower end of the lake from around Noon until dark.
    Started out by dropshotting the bluffs between Hamilton Creek and Elm Hill. Got a couple of bites, but didn’t land anything. I think I was using too heavy of a dropshot weight in the wrong shape [1/4oz ball instead of 3/16oz teardrop]. Probably doesn’t sound like a huge difference, but it gives a different feel on the bottom to me. After fishing the area for 45mins or so the wind changed directions. So, we decided to run to Porter Wagner point in the mouth of Suggs. Did a lot of idling/graphing. Found a huge wad of fish in 40ft of water suspending around bait that was related to standing timber. Unfortunately, we couldn’t really fish them well with the high winds blowing across the area. We moved around into a protected pocket and started to throw shad raps into 0-5ft of water. I missed 2 fish that didn’t bite well. Then with about 30mins to fish, my partner and I each caught a keeper largemouth on the shad raps. They weren’t very fat, but they did bite, and were both boated. Both fish came out of less than 2ft of water with pea gravel and mixed rock in the shade. Water temps were 39-40 back in that pocket.

On the way back to Elm Hill, we drove through a massive flock of gulls that stretched from the mouth of Suggs to the rock buoys in front of Elm Hill. It was amazing. Going 60-70mph with gulls taking off and clearing the way in front of us while headed into the sunset was a nice ending to the day. It was really one of the cooler things that I’ve experienced on the water. Now I wish we had a goPro.

Cut to Monday morning…
    I go to pick up the boat for a warmer day on the water only to find a huge pool of oil under the outboard… Seems like my lower unit has a leaking seal. I’m guessing fishing line behind the prop cut the seal. So, instead of fishing, I hauled the boat out to Clark’s [it’s a haul from Priest, but they have always gotten me in and back on the water quickly].

Summary –
    Conditions :: lower lake – 39-41degree water temp – moderate winds – 1-3ft water clarity
    Catch :: 2 Largemouth [keepers]
    Technique :: Finesse cranking shad-raps around scattered rock in 0-4ft of water
    Misc Details :: Lots of loons, herons and gulls in the mouth of Suggs creek. Graphed a lot of bait and some schools of larger fish in Suggs.

j.

Brian replied 10 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • 5star

January 22, 2014 at 12:48 am

Very Nice Report.. I fish that area a lot that’s my neck of the woods.. Crazy that I have been fishing water temp in the 50s in spring creek and catching very few…

• creekcrappie

January 22, 2014 at 2:05 am

Nice report.

• simplecircuit

January 22, 2014 at 2:23 am

The water temp thing is odd.
    I’ve caught fish both deep and shallow on the lower end of the lake with water temps down to the mid-30s. Maybe something about the lower end being deeper and having more stable temps has to do with the more consistent winter bite? I feel like i just jinxed myself by typing that… Anyways. I work with a guy that used to fish priest a lot who always tells me that you can never fish too shallow in the winter there. So, whenever we get bored with the deep stuff we always run some shallow cranks to at least warm up the arms and hands. In the past, I’ve had some decent fish on flat sided crankbaits in early February. So it never seems like a totally futile endeavor to do a little shallow cranking.
    J.

• Brian

Administrator
    January 22, 2014 at 4:26 am

Great report! Priest is so weird when it come to temperature. I grew up fishing the Potomac River and when the water temperature was in the 40’s or 30’s, the last place you were going to try was shallow. I would have been embarrassed to even tell someone I tried fishing shallow because it was so unorthodox. However, on Priest, if you want to target shallow bass in the winter you can and if you want to target deep bass you can too. Sometimes the shallow bite is on and sometime the deep bite is on. Sadly, the only way to know is by getting out and fishing both and seeing what you come up with.

The other week I hooked into 3 bass between 3-5lb in 1ft of water in 46 degree water…..and that was just after I left Spring Creek where it was 54!

And so the cat and mouse game never ends:)

s2Member®