Find answers, ask questions, and connect with other fishing enthusiasts.

Forums Forums Percy Priest Lake 798- or Helix 5

• 798- or Helix 5

Posted by mmfisherman on March 15, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Looking at these units, anyone have any opinions on either one. Also I might be open to buying a used 898. Any issues buying used units?

Dakota replied 9 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • truauto

March 24, 2015 at 1:52 am

I have bought a unit off of bassbooatcentral.com. It was an HDS-12 Touch. No issues thus far. I prefer using PayPal when buying used.

No opinion on the ‘birds. My brother has a 998 and likes it.

Good luck!

• jard

March 24, 2015 at 2:20 am

I have a 798 and a 788 hummingbird, both bought used. My 798 is SI/DI/GPS. I used to have all lowrances and made the switch about 2 years ago. My personal belief is that the hummingbirds are more user friendly for novices and much easier to navigate screen to screen and I got better result on factory mode with them. However, I believe that you can get better performance out of lowrance units if you spend a lot of time with them and learn how to use/adjust them regularly to get the best image for what you are looking for. As a casual fisherman, I just didn’t have the time or feel the need to invest the time to learn the lowrances. Also, a bigger screen is always better. The 798 has a 5″ screen so any split screen like SI/GPS makes it small.

• Dakota

March 24, 2015 at 4:39 pm

Sorry wish I could help because I love electronics stuff. Ive always been a lowrance guy currently have an HDS7 love it.

s2Member®