Find answers, ask questions, and connect with other fishing enthusiasts.

Forums Forums Percy Priest Lake August 15, 2013

• August 15, 2013

Posted by marsh on August 16, 2013 at 12:02 am

Today I fished Priest and caught 6 bass and had around 4 get off. Mainly stayed shallow fishing coves from Longhunter to Fate Sanders. The lures I caught them on were a white bandit 100 and a pop r. Found a couple banks that had a lot of baitfish on them and I mainly threw the crankbait. When they came to the surface chasing baitfish I would throw the pop r. Had 1 keeper.

marsh replied 10 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • simplecircuit

August 16, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I fished around Hong Kong island Mon-Wed last week and there were shad EVERYWHERE.
    Out along the main channel and back in the flats and up against the bank. Fish were in the jumps on and off all afternoon, but they didn’t seem to be interested in biting anything I was throwing. I’m thinking they are keying on the super tiny shad fry and everything I had with me was a little too big [gunfish 95, flash mob jr, arashi 3 squarebill]. I’ve loaded up my tray with tiny baits and plan to give it another shot either today or sunday. I was thinking about throwing a drop shot rig with a tiny finesse worm or possibly throwing a small blade bait. Brian, do you have any tips on catching bass relating to those balls of tiny bait?
    thanks. j.

• bigred

August 16, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Marsh, You mentioned that you had 4 “get off”. I recently watched Brians video on setting drag. I’ve always been a bit heavy with my setting so I tried his method. I landed all 4 of my fish with that lighter drag setting. Something to watch for is tiring out the big bass by the time you get them into the boat. That lighter drag keeps them hooked but it also can really exhaust them. I’m 100% catch and release on black bass (hope everyone is). It took me 4 minutes of gentle boatside “treatment” to revive the biggest one I caught. By treatment, I mean medium-firmly holding them by the tail underwater. Wait for them to regain their balance (remain upright) and don’t let go until they tail-jerk free from your grasp. You’ll often get splashed from the bigger ones but thats a fair trade for the thrill of catching them!

Also, keep those hooks sharp! My personal rule “If you aren’t afraid of the hook tips then you need to sharpen them”.

• marsh

August 16, 2013 at 4:57 pm

BigRed, Thanks for the tips and I will take a look at Brian’s video. I lost a couple on the crankbait, but I also lost 2 on a fluke. The fluke seems to be my biggest problem when it comes to keeping them hooked up. I don’t know if I need to go to a different hook or maybe a different type of line with less stretch. Also, I am with you when it comes to releasing all the bass you catch.

• simplecircuit

August 16, 2013 at 5:54 pm

If you’re having bass throw the lure it could also be a matter of them not having it good in the first place.
    You might try a little different color or size to see if there is something that they are more willing to eat instead of just swipe at.
    Also, I’ve found that I land more crankbait fish on a softer rod with a bit of give. As for BigRed’s advice on the hooks… there are very few crankbaits that I leave the stock hooks on. It can be a pain [literally and figuratively] to switch them out, but I find that I lose far less fish when I switch out the stock hooks on most lures. As for the fluke… I have trouble getting good hookups with them, but find that using straight shank j bend hooks with braid or some other low stretch line helps to get a good hook set. hope this helps. Good luck keeping them buttoned up.

• Brian

Administrator
    August 16, 2013 at 10:37 pm

I was out this morning and ran into the largest school of bass, white bass and hybrids! They were near Byants grove boat ramp. I threw several different bass bait…topwater, rattle traps, crankbaits and more. Finally after 20 minutes of chaos and frustration I picked up a white/pearl Crappie Magnet to try and match those little shad and SLAM! The next 20 minutes it was one after another! You might want to try that.

• marsh

August 17, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Simplecircuit, Glad to hear that Brian figured out a way to catch some of those bass chasing those balls of tiny shad. Just wanted to say thanks for your advice and I will definitely try out the hook you use with a fluke.

s2Member®