Find answers, ask questions, and connect with other fishing enthusiasts.

Forums Forums Old Hickory Lake Cumberland River :: 6/1/2014

• Cumberland River :: 6/1/2014

Posted by simplecircuit on June 9, 2014 at 7:06 am

figured I’d post this late.
    We fished the Cumberland last weekend on 6/1/2014 from 3-8pm.

I’m not going to put much into this report aside from the fact that we ran 63 miles! It poured rain on and off all day. So, we spent time running from area to area to avoid the storms. We never got on any consistent pattern.

We put in at the Stones River ramp in Donelson and ran down river past Cockrill Bend and back up past the first bend past the Stones River going up river.

Down around Lock Road, we caught some absolutely FAT 10″ smallies on a squarebill in the mouth of a little feeder creek. One had a couple of shad tails poking out of its throat.

We also caught fish flipping a jig to isolated rocks, but the primary lures were squarebills in ghost minnow and parrot patterns. Fishing was slow for the most part although the current was running for a majority of the day.

Anyways. If you get the chance, there is something exciting about running long lengths on the river. There is very little boat traffic and you can really open up your motor.
    Also, as a bonus, we only hit on submerged object! Not sure what it was, but it didn’t ding the prop or bust off the lower unit. So, I’m calling the day as a whole a success!

If you’re going to do it, keep your eyes open and watch for logs and trash. There were also a couple of trees barely poking up in the water around MetroCenter close to the channel. Keep your eyes open, wear your killswitch and lifejacket and bring your sense of fishing adventure!

j.

marsh replied 10 years ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • marsh

June 9, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Its been a while since I’ve been to the Cumberland but I am ready to head there again. The spotted bass and smallmouth are a lot of fun. Occasionally we would take shiners and really catch them good. Sometimes we would go up in the Stones and throw flukes around all the fallen trees and do well. I am off next week and should finally get to go fishing a couple times. I may have to give the Cumberland a try.

s2Member®