Find answers, ask questions, and connect with other fishing enthusiasts.

Forums Forums Percy Priest Lake Fishing Report :: 10/19/2014

• Fishing Report :: 10/19/2014

Posted by simplecircuit on October 20, 2014 at 7:46 pm

We fished the lower end of Priest yesterday [sunday] from about 3:30-Dark.
    Launching out of Hamilton Creek the water was up a couple of feet above summer pool still, but according to the TVA site, had come down about a foot from the previous morning. I should have looked at this before heading out, but decided to check it out after taking the boat out at the end of the day. The water clarity was mixed in Hamilton Creek. Some areas were stained with 1-2ft of visibility while other areas were murked up and some pockets that were totally clear. Temps downlake ranged from 71-67 with no real consistency to where the temps changed. In the far back of Hamilton creek we found the coolest water right at 66.7.

As mixed as the water conditions were, the fish seemed to be in the same place. We ran a lot of areas around Hamilton Creek, Cooks and Elm Hill 2 looking for bait or activity of any kind. We were able to graph some fish in 20ft of water, but they weren’t interested in our offerings [umbrella rig, football head jig]. So, we focused on fishing the flooded shoreline. Up there we ended up catching 7 or 8 largemouth on a combination of flatsided crankbaits and the alabama rig. Out of those only one was a keeper. There was no real pattern to where they were. Most came out of 2-3ft of water and were loosely related to flooded brush and laydowns. I also spent some time flipping flooded weeds and trees with only a single bite. If I had done the “right” thing and checked the previous 48hr water conditions, I think we would have made a better showing. Clearly the fish had pulled out away from the bank with the receding water. We also should have spent more time trying to finesse the deep fish, but didn’t want to fool with rigging up dropshots.

Hopefully after a few more days of stable conditions the fish will turn back on. We had a good day two Fridays ago where for some odd reason, we only caught smallmouths all day in the rain. Gross conditions, but my preferred outcome.
    j.

blockel replied 9 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • krogers79

October 20, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Simple,

Sunday was definitely a frustrating day on the water. We fished on Saturday and absolutely slammed the fish…boating over 30 bass with 12-15 being keepers. Thinking that pattern would hold, we planned to fish the Sunday tourney. At launch, we headed to my favorite spot on the lake…Sister Cove. On the first cast of the day, I boated a 16″ LM. Thinking the pattern was holding, we continued down the bank, catching 4-5 more bass…all less than 13″. From there we motored up to Hong Kong and started the same pattern. We boated a few more bass…both less than 13″. Realizing something needed to change, we moved back up lake into the river. We hit the scattered boulders on the left side of Fall Creek. Bait was absolutely everywhere and we could see fish under the bait (positioned on the bottom). We threw everything but the kitchen sink at them…jigs, a rigs, traps, cranks, t-rigged lizards. They would not bite anything. Realizing that pattern wasn’t going to cut it, we moved into Stewart’s Creek and hit the scattered rocks on the left side going in. My partner hooked up with a good fish that spit the trap. We caught a few more short fish on traps before moving back to Sister Cove. The left bank after the crappie stake usually produces bigger fish for me, so we started down that bank for the 2nd time in the day. More short fish. We got to the large rock pile in the center of the back bank and started catching schooling fish in 6-8 ft of water. I hooked up with what felt like a good fish for a brief second before he spit the hook. All in all, we caught fish most of the day; however, the size wasn’t there. Hopefully the water will get to a consistent level and the bite will settle in for a few weeks before winter.

• rolltide

October 21, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Does anyone have any info on the Sunday morning tournament that blast off out of Stewarts Creek?

Thanks….

• blockel

October 21, 2014 at 4:10 pm

I was out Sunday, launched from Hamilton Creek, as well. It was a TOUGH day for me too. I primarily fished for crappie but occasionally flipped some newly flooded brush that I couldn’t resist. Long story short, I marked a lot of fish holding close to the bottom but I never ended up seeing a crappie all day and the only bass I caught was on a crappie soft plastic I was fishing under a bobber…

s2Member®