Find answers, ask questions, and connect with other fishing enthusiasts.

Forums Forums Old Hickory Lake Fishing Report :: 5/13/2014

• Fishing Report :: 5/13/2014

Posted by simplecircuit on May 15, 2014 at 2:53 am

My first trip to OH this year.
    I thought I would start out and try something that worked a couple years ago… Ledges downlake.
    I launched out of Shutes Branch around 4:30pm. With water temps at 72-74 at the ramp, I headed straight to my first drop… It’s an old roadbed that runs along the flat and drops out into the channel. Nothing was going there with football head jigs or 6/5xd’s. So, I ran to a pocket that has been productive in the past.

I fished the river weed with a chatterbait [green pumpkin with black blade] around the newly emergent grass, but no takers. I also poked around with a squarebill on some rip-rap with no luck.

Then I headed downlake closer to the dam. I fished the area around dupont with umbrella rig, 6xd and a jig. Down here, I had one bite on the jig, but didn’t hook up. Water temp was 64!!!

I ran to the opposite side of the lake by rockland and caught a single spotted bass in 15ft of water on a 5xd up against a steeper bank.

I ran back up lake to Shutes Branch and tried running the chatterbait around laydowns and timber. Nothing…

I did a gut check and decided to fall back on an OH favorite and tied on a swim jig. However, instead of a paca craw, I paired it with a swimbait trailer. First cast towards some logs in 0ft of water resulted in a keeper. Next good looking piece of cover in shallow water, same thing. These weren’t big fish, but they measured. Definitely bucks looking to clear beds for the full moon. I fished around the island at Shutes and back along the road by the ramp [Saundersville?] and ended up catching 5 more keepers on the swim jig. Most fish came in 0-4ft of water running the lure very slowly. Also, this was NOT a bluegill imitation, the colors on the swimjig/bait were definitely shad colors. I also missed probably 10 more really hard strikes. My assumption is that they were more males just protecting areas. I also saw some bigger females roaming the shallows, but they were ultra-skittish. There were some larger carp mixed in too. The bass were easy to tell because they were in clear water that was super clear.

I’m not sure what today’s rain would have done to them. If I went back tomorrow, I would probably look for warm/clear water and try to catch an easy limit of buck bass [they are hit or miss on measuring]. Then I would head to docks or secondary points to look for the recovering females. If the water is super clear, you might be able to find some females on beds. I spooked on off on Tuesday and she came back 10mins later only for me to spook her off again.

Hope this helps.
    j.

blockel replied 9 years, 9 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • jinzeo

May 15, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Very Helpful! Thank you. I’ll let you know how we do.

• dakota

May 15, 2014 at 8:00 pm

FYI I was near Cedar Creek Marina today stopped in and it’s pretty much chocolate milk now.

• jawshome285

May 18, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Station Camp area seems to be nice and muddy. Crappie have disappeared and the catfish are everywhere!! hahaha

• simplecircuit

May 23, 2014 at 6:08 am

My buddy from work was fishing up river last week and catching good fish on main lake drops near cedar creek.
    He said that they were finding fish right in 4ft of water on islands/flats next to the channel around cedar creek. Makes me think those fish were post spawn. I’m still surprised at the huge temperature differential between uplake [ 70’s] to downloake [60’s]. I would think that everything below Drakes Creek should be turning on right now.
    j.

• blockel

May 23, 2014 at 6:39 pm
    quote simplecircuit:

My buddy from work was fishing up river last week and catching good fish on main lake drops near cedar creek.
    He said that they were finding fish right in 4ft of water on islands/flats next to the channel around cedar creek. Makes me think those fish were post spawn. I’m still surprised at the huge temperature differential between uplake [70’s] to downloake [60’s]. I would think that everything below Drakes Creek should be turning on right now.
    j.

I’ll be out to OH this weekend sometime, hopefully. Any magical nuggets of advice besides the aforementioned comment?

• simplecircuit

May 24, 2014 at 5:57 am

my advice for this weekend…
    fish the cumberland. that’s my plan. the traffic on OH is going to be insane with the nice weather and holiday. 😀
    otherwise, I would stick with checking the intermediate areas between spawning flats and the ledges. Maybe they have moved all the way out there already, or maybe they are still shallow? The only way to find out is to try. Just don’t overlook that middle zone if you’re looking for bass.
    j.

• blockel

May 24, 2014 at 5:40 pm
    quote simplecircuit:

my advice for this weekend…
    fish the cumberland. that’s my plan. the traffic on OH is going to be insane with the nice weather and holiday. 😀
    otherwise, I would stick with checking the intermediate areas between spawning flats and the ledges. Maybe they have moved all the way out there already, or maybe they are still shallow? The only way to find out is to try. Just don’t overlook that middle zone if you’re looking for bass.
    j.

Good call on the boat traffic this weekend, Simple! I don’t know why but I didn’t even really think about this, probably was just too excited/focus on fishing 😳 . I think I’ll adjust my fishing plans towards the cumberland as well. Time to check the generation release schedule…

s2Member®