Find answers, ask questions, and connect with other fishing enthusiasts.

Forums Forums Percy Priest Lake Fishing Report :: 5/20/2014

• Fishing Report :: 5/20/2014

Posted by simplecircuit on May 23, 2014 at 6:21 am

Sorry for the late report – it’s a busy week at work.
    I left work early on Tuesday and got out to Elm Hill around 6pm. There was a wreck on 40 East. So, we were delayed about an hour before getting on the water.

First stop was Hamilton Creek. There were boats on the first 2 spots that we wanted to fish [the point mid-way back in the creek on the left and the flat in front of Anderson Road]. We fished topwater and crankbaits for the first 30-45 minutes on the left side of Hamilton Creek. There was a ton of shad activity, but nothing was biting.

We quickly ran across to the shelf at Cooks and caught a couple of keepers on squarebill crankbaits in 2-4ft of water. Also a couple of shorts on a jumping minnow.

Then headed over to Goose Island. There was a boat sitting on the Elm Hill side of the island and some campers on the Hermitage Landing [Nashville Shores] side. So, we fished the point at the cut-through. I 2 keepers and a short on 3 consecutive casts to the old house foundation on that point. Then my partner hung his umbrella rig up in the shallow rocks and we blew the area out retrieving it.

Ran back to Elm Hill marina and caught another couple of shorts and a keeper cranking shallow and with the jumping minnow.

All of the fish we caught seemed to be buck bass with the exception of one fish at Goose Island that was fat and clean [pre-spawn?].

Water temps ranged from 70-75 at the trolling motor. I’m not sure if the fish are post-spawn funky or on beds, but the water was just starting to come down from it’s highest point. Overall, they didn’t seem to be really aggressive outside of the main lake fish. Not sure what to make of it, but they were only biting the squarebill good in super shallow water when pausing it after banging rocks.

I can’t wait to get out again, but I think I’m about done with Priest for the summer. Unfortunately, May and early June are my busiest times at work. 🙁

It’s about time to head to OH and the Cumberland!

I’ll edit this post with a conditions summary tomorrow. I hope everyone is catching them up. The post-spawn fish should start feeding up for what seems to be an upcoming hot summer.

j.

simplecircuit replied 10 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

s2Member®