Find answers, ask questions, and connect with other fishing enthusiasts.

Forums Forums Percy Priest Lake Fishing Report :: 5/4/2014

• Fishing Report :: 5/4/2014

Posted by simplecircuit on May 6, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Sorry for the delay on this…
    I got half way through writing it on Sunday night and my iPad battery died. So, here’s an overview of what was happening downlake on Sunday.

We launched out of Elm Hill on Sunday afternoon to fish from 4:30 until Dark.
    Our first spot was the point at Anderson Road going into Hamilton Creek on the left. Between boat traffic and wind, the water was pretty rough. We caught a couple of short largemouth on an umbrella rig and squarebill crankbait. The water was still way over summer pool. So, we spent some time trying to figure out if the fish had moved up at all. Water temps were from 68-70 on the flats around this point. I lost a decent largemouth on the squarebill in 1ft of water on the flat to the left of the closed Anderson Road ramp. My partner caught several short buck bass on a jumping minnow.

From there, we ran further into Hamilton Creek and fished the flats on the left side heading into the back. Being out of the wind, we threw shakey heads with lizards, craws, and trick worms. We caught maybe 8 or so buck bass and a keeper back through here. They were all in about 4ft of water. The craw seemed to be a better option, but the lizard produced slightly larger fish.

After running to sailboat cove and finding boats in the areas we wanted to fish, we began to idle back out of the no wake zone. On our way out, some fish came up in the jumps behind us in about 20ft of water. I threw a swimbait into the middle of them and it got hammered, but the fish didn’t get hooked. They also ignored any topwater offerings.

Next we headed to the transition from the bluffwall to the point heading into Elm Hill Marina. There, I caught a 2.5lb largemouth on a swim jig with a large swimbait trailer [4.8″] in 15ft of water. We trolled around the corner and fished through the rest of the marina. In there, I caught another keeper [about 2lbs] pitching a lizard on a shakey head into matted straw that had pushed up against the bank. We caught several more on the craw and lizard before taking off for the night.

Summary ::
    There seemed to be mostly buck bass up shallow. Which leads me to believe that the females were either holding a little further out from the regular summer pool shoreline [now in 6-8ft of water] or were locked on beds in that same depth. Fishing soft plastics seemed to be most productive, but least efficient for covering water. Clarity on the lower end of the lake was variable. In pockets it was really stained, in deeper water, there was 4-6ft visibility. I could see the bottom in 6ft in a couple of the coves in Hamilton Creek. Temps ranged from 68-72 depending on location, with the flats being a little cooler than the deeper water. It seems counter intuitive, but I think it has to do with the wind.

j.

blockel replied 9 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • creekcrappie

May 6, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Thanks for the report. I will tell you the best plastics for a shaky head are go 2 baits. They are hand poured with no hardener insuring that they float.

• simplecircuit

May 8, 2014 at 6:12 am

Thanks for the suggestion.
    On the soft plastics we were using zoom lizards in green pumpkin w/red flake, plum trick worm [still tied on from a tournament at Neely Henry last fall], and a chompers baby craw hog.

Typically I use roboworms and Yamamoto fat baby craws. They are a little more expensive, but I have a lot of confidence in both brands.

J.

• blockel

May 8, 2014 at 2:58 pm
    quote simplecircuit:

Thanks for the suggestion.
    On the soft plastics we were using zoom lizards in green pumpkin w/red flake, plum trick worm [still tied on from a tournament at Neely Henry last fall], and a chompers baby craw hog.

Typically I use roboworms and Yamamoto fat baby craws. They are a little more expensive, but I have a lot of confidence in both brands.

J.

I agree, hard to go wrong with either one of those brands. As always, thanks for the report, Simple.

s2Member®