Find answers, ask questions, and connect with other fishing enthusiasts.

Forums Forums Percy Priest Lake Fishing Report :: 7/6/2014

• Fishing Report :: 7/6/2014

Posted by simplecircuit on July 8, 2014 at 6:08 am

Went for a short trip with my 5yo son on Sunday mid-day.
    We put in at the Elm Hill Summer Ramp [now permanent I guess…] around 11:30. I wasn’t really planning on doing much fishing, but after leaving the dock realized we had left the meal worms in the truck. So, instead of going back my little one wanted to fish for bass instead of bluegill and “baby pumpkinseeds.” So, we headed to fish the roadbed pocket downlake from Elm Hill Marina.

We pulled in and started casting around. I had on a squarebill and popper. He had on a little boo-rig with a swimbait attached to the back. It’s his version of an Alabama rig. After a few minutes, we both had a couple of followers, but nothing hooked up. I also had a good blowup on the popper. It’s possible that it was a smaller fish, but in shallow water, it’s hard to tell. Having no fish in the livewell, my son said he wanted to fish “in the middle of the lake”. So, we ran over to Goose Island.

We fished the left side if looking at the dam. With all of the pleasure boat traffic, there were a lot of waves crashing the shore. Casting to a little point in 4ft of water, I immediately hooked and lost a 4+lb largemouth on the squarebill. It hit twice before loading up. I thought it was hooked up good, but on her first big jump, my crankbait came flying at me like a fastball. My little partner thought it was a “tricky smallmouth”, but it was definitely a largemouth. Two casts later, I had another 3+ largemouth hit the crankbait at the boat and immediately come unbuttoned. This was all my fault… I have been meaning to change the hooks on my “special” squarebill for a couple of weeks now, but haven’t gotten around to cutting it off.

We finished out our time on the water fishing the cove with at the Elm Hill Summer Ramp. Monty ran the trolling motor and cruised us around the back of the pocket. He had a couple more followers on the boo-rig, but nothing would commit.

The water temps were in the low 80’s downlake. Water was pretty clear considering all of the boat traffic. We headed home, then I went back out to OH. I’ll file that report over there tomorrow. Spoiler alert, it was much better.

Quote of the day from my 5YO – “who needs topwater when you have an alabama rig?” – this is no exaggeration or fish tale. he really said this unprovoked and out of the blue. kids hear EVERYTHING.
    j.

blockel replied 9 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • 5star

July 8, 2014 at 11:41 am

Sounds like your son had a great trip..lol

• blockel

July 8, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Great report, Simple. You’re boy sure does seem to have some funny one-liners! I’m anxious to hear your OH report. I was out there Sunday from about 9-3 and it was NOT good for me… at all. About the only thing I caught was a sunburn…

s2Member®