Find answers, ask questions, and connect with other fishing enthusiasts.

Forums Forums Percy Priest Lake Jan 13, 2014

• Jan 13, 2014

Posted by Brian on January 14, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Yesterday I fished with a great guy, Jermie England from Mount Juliet. We chased the bass around from 7am-11am in the rain.

We headed back to Spring Creek to see what the water looked like. It was muddy all the way to the back, but then started clearing up and the springs were kicking out really clear water. Water temp 52-55.6 degrees. We started at the fingers coves casting Spooks 4.0 and Chartreuse Shad SquareB 2.75. After 15 min Jermie caught a small bass off one of the points on the left. I fished the spook most of the time with no strikes. I picked up my Crappie Magnet(Chartreuse and white) and had several bites quickly, catching one nice keeper before picking up my SB crankbait. We fished to the back with no success. I knew the fish were back there and needed to make a change. We idled back to the finger coves and made long cast to the muddy flat with Rat 2.75 Red Shads(rattle traps). Within 5 minutes I had two on! One that unbuttoned and one that broke my line! The next 45 minutes we caught 6 bass on our traps in that area. For some reason they wanted a loud faster lures.

The last hour I motored around the lake(up and mid) and showed Jermie some good crappie and bass ares for spring fishing.

Next trip to lake or two, I’ll be headed towards Hobson Pike and Elm Hill to fish drop shots and A rigs!

Here a picture of Rat 2.75 Red Shad

Brian

5star replied 10 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • frisky97

January 15, 2014 at 12:33 am

Sounds like you had a decent day. My son and I fished the same location Sunday. The water was extremely muddy all the way to the springs. We starter at fingers coves casting Spooks 4.0 and Chartreuse Shad Square Bill 2.75 with not even a look. There seemed to be plenty of bait and some large fish in and around the creek channel so we tried pulling some plastic off the ledges, one small one on black 4″ worm. There were several boats back there including several premium members we talked with. They too were experiencing the same frustration of fishing but not catching.
    I think our next time out, we’ll pick up a bucket of minnows and a couple of packs of CM and try East & West fork. Hopefully the runoff from Stones River will start to clear.

• hooperj14

January 15, 2014 at 12:56 am

I fished back there for the first time on Sunday. I had the same frustration everyone else experienced (muddy water). I have a few questions about Spring Creek. Are the actual springs located in the finger coves? How far back do you run before you idle? It seemed very shallow to me. Ive got a 15 foot hydra sport with a 115.I can run shallow, but I’m always cautious. Also, how far back is it worth fishing? Thanks, Jack

• Brian

Administrator
    January 15, 2014 at 1:07 am

There is one spring in the second finger cove on the opposite side of the big mud flat point in the back. The main spring is all the way in the back on the left. It is a branch off the main creek and goes about 100 yards back. In the back there is a 20ft hole/spring. I run all the way to the back flat, but I would idle the through a couple times before running it. Stay in the channel.

• 5star

January 15, 2014 at 11:31 am

Well I fished Spring Creek Yesterday and it was muddy still.. Caught a small stripe on a crankbait?? Saw a couple of boats come and go and no one said they had any luck either.

s2Member®