Find answers, ask questions, and connect with other fishing enthusiasts.

Forums Forums Percy Priest Lake January 1, 2014

• January 1, 2014

Posted by Brian on January 2, 2014 at 3:22 am

Today I fished a New Years Eve tournament out of Fate Sanders Marina. It was a tough day, but we still managed to catch 8-10, including a 5lb largemouth!

We started the day in the back of Spring Creek around the big flat in front of the finger coves. The water temperature was 53 degrees, so I picked up my Spook 4.0 and within the first 5 cast….boom, keeper number 1! We continued towards the back of the cove and we picked up 4 more, 2 on a Minnow 3.3(craw color) and 2 on a Minnow 3.3(sexy shad). The next 2 hours we did not catch anything and had to make a move.

We headed down lake just past Fate Sanders into Sister Cove. I started on the left bank in 2ft-3ft of water casting a Minnow 2.5(Thread Fin) towards the bank. The first 20 yards I hooked into a GOOD fish that pulled off moments after I set the hook….very frustrating! I tired to shake it off and not let it bother me, and I did 10 yards down the bank when I hooked into another GIANT bass! Once again it pulled off after fighting for a few seconds!!! At this point I was ready to throw my rod in the water:) I decided to change out my front hook to a #4 instead of #6. I pulled up my boot straps and started casting again. Just down the bank a little further I hooked into another GIANT on my Minnow 2.5(Thread Fin). This was keeper number 2, weighing 5lbs! We fished for another hour there was no other bites.

We tried the the channel drop off at the first cut through with jigs…nothing.

Then we went to the back Fate Sanders….really shallow. No luck there, so we heading in to weigh our 2 fish.

Our 2 fish weighed near 7lbs. We missed big fish by 5 ounces. I would have like to see what those other two big fish weighed that I missed. It took 13lb to win, then 12, then 10.

*****If you would like to purchase the lures used on this trip, check out Brian’s Tackle Shop here:

http://briancarper.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8. These lures are reasonably priced and catch fish!*****

Brian replied 10 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • rolltidech

January 2, 2014 at 4:57 am

sounds like your day went better than ours.
    we caught a total of 5 fish.
    Had one keeper a little over 15 inches.
    Our 1 keeper was caught on Bandit 100 series crank bait.
    We fished from Hong Kong all the way down to Cable Cross.
    It was nice finally meeting you in person before blast off.

Chuck Howell

• blockel

January 3, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Is Sister Cove just North of Fate Sanders?

• Brian

Administrator
    January 3, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Yes

s2Member®