Find answers, ask questions, and connect with other fishing enthusiasts.

Forums Forums Percy Priest Lake Percy Priest 6/15/2014

• Percy Priest 6/15/2014

Posted by krogers79 on June 16, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Haven’t had much luck on Priest the last couple of weeks…seemed like fish were in the middle of moving from the flats to the lip of the ledges. We got out yesterday afternoon about 4 p.m. and started targeting main river channel ledges. We fished Hotel/Motel and I caught one 3 lb largemouth on a black/blue football jig on the ledge on the side of the island. We then moved over to Hong Kong and located some fish on the side of the long point on the front of the island. The boat was sitting in 10-12 ft of water and we were casting into 20-25 ft and banging cranks against the ledge on the way up. We picked up a couple of short fish there before we were about to get sea sick from all of the pleasure boaters. We then moved down to the long point in front of the Jones Mill boat ramp. I was throwing a SK 5XD in Sexy Shad when I hooked up with a 4 lb largemouth. After getting the fish in the boat, my suspicions from the past couple of weeks were confirmed. This fish looked to be fresh off of bed. This time we were in 30+ feet of water and throwing up on the ledge and cranking off as the fish were holding tight to the lip of drop. I had a couple more hits on the crank before I put it down and picked up the PB&J jig. By this time, the water was calm and the bait has started to move onto the ledge. Just about every cast onto the ledge with the jig was resulting in a bite; however, the fish seemed to be hitting the trailer. I can’t count the number of times the line would start moving sideways and you could feel tension but when the hookset ensued…nothing was there. Definitely not the typical jig bite. I ended up letting one of the fish hold it for at least 10 seconds and then setting the hook. This time I connected with meet. Another 15″ keeper and we were done for the day. All in all, I felt like we figured some things out. We caught a few fish in the hottest and roughest part of the day, so that felt good.

blockel replied 9 years, 12 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • blockel

June 17, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Good work, Krogers! Consider everything you mentioned, pleasure boaters and whatnot, sounds like you stumbled upon a pretty stinkin’ good bite, especially for only being out for a few hours.

s2Member®