Find answers, ask questions, and connect with other fishing enthusiasts.

Forums Forums Percy Priest Lake Anyone lose a boat? Re: Anyone lose a boat?

• simplecircuit

February 11, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Downscan and standard Sonar are both useful for different things.
    For instance, individual fish arcs that you see on a standard 2D sonar are sometimes really hard to see on downscan. So, the standard sonar is definitely useful. Downscan can show you things in greater detail for instance – what appears to be a pile of fish on standard sonar is really a brushpile or tree. Also, for some reason, I find standard sonar to be easier to read quickly to keep track of depth changes [probably just the color pops better for me]. Also, downscan really only works well at slow idle speeds 1-6mph, while standard sonar works well at all speeds. Did you get a DSI unit? I would suggest that when you get out on the water, run to some places that you know what is down there just to take a look. Ride over the area with side-by-side sonar/downscan and see what each one looks like on the screen. This will give you a good idea of how to interpret what you are seeing on both screens. If you’re looking for something interesting, there is a blown out bridge on the bluff wall side of hole-in-the-wall island. Take a look at that. There’s also a ton of cool stuff out at Old Hickory [flooded dam/locks, bldg foundations, roads, etc…]
    j.

s2Member®