Find answers, ask questions, and connect with other fishing enthusiasts.

Forums Forums Old Hickory Lake crappie Re: crappie

• bigred

December 30, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Ray, Your use of maps and keeping a record of productive boat docks, year after year, is brilliant.

Reminds me of a short story:

I know a guy that grew up fishing the Hudson River in upstate New York, around Catskill. It’s tidal up there with two direction changes per day. There is a lot of cargo barge traffic so a main channel is clearly marked with chunk rock “light houses” with red or green lights. He fished for smallmouth bass. He tracked time of day, light house number, and direction of current every time he fished. Well, 30 years pass and he has a graph that is absolutely amazing. He can check the time of day and tell you exactly which side (up or down river) of which light houses the smallmouth will be piled up on. He owns a Fishing Tackle store in Catskill now. When visiting, I always start my fishing day by stopping there to get my list of locations and times.

He started with an interest in smallmouth and over the years kept simple records. Today, with all that data input into a computer, he has graphs and charts that are priceless to local fisherman. He only shares his data with ‘catch and release’ guys.

s2Member®